Dr Ann Fitzgerald is a trained psychologist based in Guildford, Surrey. She treats adjustment disorder, substance misuse and other addictive and risky behaviours. Her treatments include self-harm, suicide, relationship problems, self-esteem, and bereavement.
Her training, skills, and experience incorporate a broad range of disorders, including depression, anxiety (generalised, social, OCD and panic), PTSD, emotional dysregulation (Bipolar and Personality Disorders), developmental trauma, and attachment disorder.
Dr Fitzgerald’s approach to psychological therapy is to maintain a relational (social and emotional) understanding of human distress.
Emotional and psychological distress can be triggered by a range of life events including stress and burnout, an unexpected injury, disability and loss, relationship difficulties and breakdown, trauma, abuse, substance misuse, and characterological difficulties linked to earlier life and development.
The premise of Dr Fitzgerald’s treatment is that the ‘illness’ is not placed within the individual’s mind but relates to the social context of the individual’s life narrative and story, namely a complex tapestry of past, present and future experiences.
The first Sessions
Initially, Dr Fitzgerald will meet you for a psychological assessment. This takes between 1-3 sessions during which she will guide you through a conversation to explore the presenting problem. This is to understand the concerns within a broader context of current circumstances and earlier life experiences. Psychological therapy focusses on the here-and-now. You will work together to identify and improve strengths, resources, and learn coping strategies.
The aim of the early stages of therapy help to establish a working therapeutic alliance, understand risk management, and an individual’s psychological formulation. This scaffolding allows the therapy to safely explore and challenge persisting unhelpful patterns of behaviour, thoughts, and feelings. The ending is an equally important stage of the therapy process and helps to sustain the outcome.
Dr Fitzgerald is trained in several psychotherapeutic approaches including Mentalization, Based Treatment (MBT), psychodynamic psychotherapy, EMDR, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). She is currently working towards accreditation as an Attachment-Based Family Therapist (ABFT). She uses Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) techniques and mindfulness approaches. Dr Fitzgerald is skilled at designing and delivering psycho-education workshops. She does this by combining a range of theoretical and experiential techniques for groups in different environments. This includes mental health, the workplace, school and community settings.
Dr Fitzgerald made a career change in 2000, obtained a first-class degree in Psychology as a mature student at Oxford Brooks University. She then completed her doctoral training at the University of Surrey (2009). She brings a distinctive combination of life experience, a professional career in business and an established career as a mental health professional. To stay best informed about best practice and contemporary research, she continues to attend professional seminars, workshops and training, including neuroscience.
Fees and Cancellations
- Psychological therapy individual session (50 minute individual session) – Fee £120
- Psychological therapy for couples (50 minute session) – Fee £140
- Family consultation & Attachment Based Family Therapy (50 minute session) – Fee £150
- Written reports available on request and charged separately
- Limited number of reduced rate sessions available for low-income earners & trainees
- Package negotiable when working on a long term and/or twice weekly basis
- Payment within 7 days of invoice
- Appointments available at Brighter Spaces, Guildford: Wednesdays and Fridays
- Saturday and evening sessions may be arranged on request
- To book your appointment with Dr Fitzgerald, please get in touch with her directly.
- Dr Fitzgerald is available to have an initial telephone consultation to establish whether she is potentially the appropriate psychological therapist for you or to signpost you to other services that may be appropriate for your needs.
- Supervision sessions available
Registered with all main Healthcare Insurance Providers including Bupa, Aviva, AXA-PPP & Simply Health, Cigna, Vitality, Allianz, WPA
Appointments missed without 48 hours notice will incur the full session fee.