Dr Levent Yurdakul pays particular attention to the details of client’s lives, their unique history and how they tell their story. Such information often provides the opportunities for beginning to make positive changes. His style of work can be described as collaborative, empathic and focused.
He works with clients across the lifespan (older children, teenagers and adults), supporting them to develop effective coping and emotional resilience. The difficulties can be common mental health issues such as anxiety, stress and low mood through to more complex difficulties such as recurrent depressions, Bipolar II Disorder, trauma, emotional instability or chronic physical illness.
The psychological work is underpinned by the broad aim of promoting insight, adaptive coping and psychological well-being whatever the individual circumstances may be.
Dr Yurdakul utilises Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT), paying particular attention to relational patterns, personality and the impact of life experiences. He is an accredited IPT practitioner and supervisor. He has a particular interest and expertise in the treatment of complex depressions including Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia), and mixed mood states such as Bipolar II Disorder using an adapted and evidence-based form of IPT known as Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy. Over the years he has also worked increasingly with clients presenting with emotional instability and a range of difficulties associated with impulsivity.
In the early part of his career, Dr Yurdakul simultaneously trained in integrative psychotherapy and completed post-graduate training/research looking at the role of stress hormones and life events in depression. He then went on to complete his Clinical Psychology Doctorate and worked as a clinical psychologist in the NHS for 13 years. During this time he undertook further training in clinical neuropsychology and psychological therapies. He has worked across the full range of mental health settings which has given him broad exposure as well as the opportunity to develop honed skills to help those with specific difficulties/disorders. Since 2014 he has worked exclusively in the private sector as a consultant to private hospitals as well as continuing to develop his own practice in London and Surrey.
- Depressions (including cyclothymia and Bipolar II Disorder)
- Difficulties associated with emotional instability
- Emotional regulation difficulties including self-harm and addictive behaviours
- Anxiety disorders (including OCD and phobias)
- Trauma and stress related disorders
- Loss, bereavement and transitions across the lifespan
- Relationships difficulties, interpersonal disputes and anger
- School related difficulties such as behavioural problems, social integration and academic performance
- Difficulties associated with separation, divorce and co-parenting
- Physical illness, chronic pain and long term conditions
- Post-concussional syndrome (mild traumatic brain injury)
- Dementias, stroke and neurological conditions
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders such as Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Dr Yurdakul practices in Guildford at Brighter Spaces on Wednesday and Thursday.
- He is registered with Aviva, AXA-PPP, Allianz, BUPA, Cigna, Preferred Health, Vitality and WPA.
- Prior to an initial appointment a brief telephone conversation can be scheduled to discuss circumstances and needs.
- The details of the therapeutic contract would be discussed and agreed during the first consultation.
- Where necessary sessions can be conducted via Face Time and Skype.
- For longer term work fees can be negotiated.
- A limited number of reduced rate sessions based on personal circumstances.
- Dr Yurdakul offers supervision, training and consultancy.
- Dr Yurdakul prepares expert witness reports for a range of conditions/circumstances.
Qualifications and Accreditations
- Accredited Interpersonal Psychotherapist and Supervisor with The IPT UK Network
- PG Diploma in Applied Clinical Neuropsychology
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- MSc Neuroscience
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
Appointments missed without 48 hours notice will incur the full session fee.