Dr Levent Yurdakul is a psychologist based in Guildford, Surrey. He is particularly interested in clients’ unique history and how they tell their story. The individual details of a client’s life often provide opportunities to start making positive changes. Dr Yurdalkul’s approach of therapy is collaborative, empathic and focused.
He works with clients across their lifespan (helping them transition from being older children to teenagers and then adults). Dr Yurdakul is supporting his patients in a way that they can develop effective coping mechanisms and emotional resilience.
As a Clinical Psychologist, Dr Yurdakul is highly experienced in looking after complex difficulties such as recurrent depressions, Bipolar II Disorder, trauma, emotional instability or chronic physical illness. He also treats more common mental health issues such as anxiety, stress and low mood.
Dr Yurdakul’s broad aim in his psychological work is to promote insight, ability to cope adaptively, and psychological well-being whatever the individual circumstances may be. He utilises Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT). Dr Yurdakul assigns particular importance to relational patterns, personality and the impact of life experiences.
He is an accredited IPT (Interpersonal Psychotherapy), practitioner and supervisor. Dr Yurdakul has expertise in the treatment of complex depressions which include Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia), and mixed mood states such as Bipolar II Disorder. He applies an adapted and evidence-based form of IPT known as Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy. Over the years he has also increasingly worked with clients presenting with emotional instability and a range of difficulties associated with impulsivity.
In the early part of his career, Dr Yurdakul trained in integrative psychotherapy. Alongside this training, he completed post-graduate training and research looking at the role of stress hormones and life events in depression. He then went on to complete his Clinical Psychology Doctorate and worked as a clinical psychologist in the NHS for 13 years. He has undertaken further training in clinical neuropsychology and psychological therapies and worked across the full range of mental health settings. This variety has honed his skills to help those with a large variety of specific difficulties and disorders. Since 2014, he has worked exclusively in the private sector as a consultant to private hospitals and continued to develop his own practice in London and Surrey.
- Depressions (including cyclothymia and Bipolar II Disorder)
- Difficulties associated with emotional instability
- Emotional regulation difficulties including self-harm and addictive behaviours
- Anxiety disorders (including OCD and phobias)
- Trauma and stress related disorders
- Loss, bereavement and transitions across the lifespan
- Relationships difficulties, interpersonal disputes and anger
- School related difficulties such as behavioural problems, social integration and academic performance
- Difficulties associated with separation, divorce and co-parenting
- Physical illness, chronic pain and long term conditions
- Post-concussional syndrome (mild traumatic brain injury)
- Dementias, stroke and neurological conditions
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders such as Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Dr Yurdakul practices in Guildford at Brighter Spaces on Wednesday and Thursday.
- He is registered with Aviva, AXA-PPP, Allianz, BUPA, Cigna, Preferred Health, Vitality and WPA.
- Prior to an initial appointment, a brief telephone conversation can be scheduled to discuss circumstances and needs.
- The details of the therapeutic contract would be discussed and agreed during the first consultation.
- Where necessary sessions can be conducted via Face Time and Skype.
- For longer-term work, fees can be negotiated.
- A limited number of reduced-rate sessions based on personal circumstances.
- He offers supervision, training and consultancy.
- Dr Yurdakul prepares expert witness reports for a range of conditions/circumstances.
Qualifications and Accreditations
- Accredited Interpersonal Psychotherapist and Supervisor with The IPT UK Network
- PG Diploma in Applied Clinical Neuropsychology
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- MSc Neuroscience
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
Appointments missed without 48 hours notice will incur the full session fee.